Max Image Width: 1600×440 pixels
The Hero Slides area is the large image carousel above the primary navigation at the top of each page. At it’s most basic level, here is how to create a “Slide”, as done in the theme demo:
- Create/Edit a Post and give it a title.
- Set a Featured Image. This image will be used as the large, full width image as seen in the demo.
- Add the slide to a special slides category (e.g. “Hero Slides”).
- Publish/Update the post.
Do not insert an image into the content area unless you want that image to overlay the background image. Anything added to the content area will be displayed over the large background image.
Setting the Hero Slide Category
Now that you have at least one slide created, we can set Hero Slide category via the Appearance > Theme Options > Hero Slides. Here, we will want to set the “Category” option to use the “Hero Slides” category from the dropdown list. By doing this, we are telling the theme to use the posts in the “Hero Slides” category as the themes “Slides”.
The theme demo show a variety of slides, some with text, an image, a gallery, a video, or just plain. Any content you add to the slides content area will be displayed over the background image (Featured Image). Additionally, you can set a Format for the slide. For example, if you add a video to the content area, you can assign it to be a “Video” format. This will treat the slide a bit differently in terms of styling. If you just want text, simply enter text in the slide and set the format to “Standard”.
Custom Hero Background Color
Soundcheck utilizes custom fields for background color of the Hero Slides. A custom field was added so that you can change the background color to better match the image being shown. By default, the background color is black (#000000). To use this custom field:
- In the custom fields meta box, enter a Name of “background_color”.
- In the value textarea, enter a hexadecimal value.
- Click on “Add Custom Field”
- That’s it, update post. Again, this is only relevant to Hero Slides.
Make Slide Clickable
You can make the entire Hero Slide link to another page by setting a custom field. The details below will assume you have a slide created.
- Edit/View the slide from within the Admin
- Find the Custom Fields meta box
- Enter hero_slide_link in the name input
- Add the full URL (e.g. http://press75.com) you want the slide to link to in the value field. You can enterpermalink to link to the single slide.
- Click Add Custom Field
The small featured image carousel uses posts. More specifically, it uses posts that have a featured image set. In the Theme Options, under the Image Carousel section, you can set a specific category for the image carousel to use. There are also a few other options to control the functionality of this carousel, including page location.